Sunday, October 16, 2011

The rest of the week after Monday was really busy.  Everyone had language interviews on wed/thursday to re-evaluate our levels and to sort of shuffle up new langauge groups.  I felt like mine went really well and on monday I will have my first class with the new group.  We also had interviews with the Health APCD or Associate Peace Corps Director about our site placements.  She only asked 2 questions; 'Do you prefer hot or cold weather?', and 'Do you prefer structure or less structure?'.  I told her I liked cold and structure- I'm crossing my fingers for the sierras!
The 'highlight' of wednesday was getting bitten by a street dog in the evening when I was playing with my host brother and his friends.  It wasn't a bad bite, but it scared me a little.  Since I couldn't be more expressive in spanish I announced that 'that is a bad dog, I don't like that dog.'  My little brother piped up that she was actually a very nice dog-needless to say I was a little miffed at Sting.  I left the futbol game to protest that stinking dog, but Sting absolutely loves all dogs and would never say a bad thing about any of them.  I guess in a way that's pretty cute.  Now that I think about it more it reminds me of my brother Eric and his love for insects.
Thursday we did a small project with early childhood stimulation this week.  In groups we were matched with one of our classmate's host siblings under age 5.  We drafted a plan of activities to do with the child and explanations for the mothers as to why these activities were useful.  Then we went on little home visits and tried to deliver little presentations in spanish.  With my group the little girl was very young; only a little over 1 year, and she was pretty shy when a group of 5 gringos showed up at her house.  So the activity part didn't work out so well, but the mother very patiently let us try to explain technical reasons for early stimulation in spanish and she also had some very thoughtful questions for us-super helpful.  So I thought it was a nice way for us to see how things could be in a real life PCV teaching moment, but it's a baby step since we were talking with a mom who lives with a trainee and we worked in groups.

Saturday we went back to the Universidad Agraria to learn how to make compost!  So I scooped a lot of poop on Saturday and learned some very useful vocabulary.  I had fun, but it was pretty gross.  Especially since after the class we went to this giant shopping mall called Jockey Plaza.  I felt so bad walking through stores covered in poo!  I bought an external hard drive at a really nice department store at the suggestion of other volunteers, but I have no idea how to use it.  I guess I just have to look it up on google, but just having one makes me feel better since everyone said they were so important.

Today I'm making apple pie for my host family.  I hope I don't mess it up-I would love to impress them with something very American.

2 comments:

  1. Any idea when you'll find out where you're placed? And is there a normal time you're on skype or anything? I have it now, but don't have a webcam so I can only IM... yay technology haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. An external harddrive is very similar to a flashdrive, just with a lot more memory. You can save all your pictures on it in case your memory cards get damaged!

    ReplyDelete