Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Back to the Rainy Season Reality

I am so lucky.  I was able to go back to the U.S. for the holidays and spend 3 whole weeks surrounded by the people I love.  It felt amazing to be back in my country.  I felt like I fit, I knew how things worked and what to expect.  It was wonderful to be able to express myself fully.  The amount of love and support I felt was incredible. 

On Sunday I left Detroit.  All the sleep deprived travel time between Miami, Lima, and now (I still have 7 hours of van rides to go as I am writing from the regional capital Cajamarca) back to my community Tacabamba.  I am surprised at how emotional it has been.  The sadness of leaving has surprised me.  Rationally I know that I have my Peruvian family and friends (I actually have 2 families since I had that site change in July), not to mention my wonderful Peace Corps family in the volunteers. 

It is much harder than I expected it to be.  However, I have so many great things to look forward to and I need to keep those in mind.  Plus, I have been here for 15 months already and as one volunteer friend pointed out we are 3/5th of the way finished with our service. 

So I'm on my way today to reunite with my Peruvian family in Tacabamba and survive the combes from here to there.  I have more to reflect on, but I think I'll post it this weekend.  I'm started to get worried about no getting back to site until really late.  Thank you everyone who welcomed me home.  I love you all so so much. 

hasta este fin de semana,
kb

1 comment:

  1. It was great to see you after so long (duh!) and I am so proud of you and what you're doing. Katie is bada$$! <3

    ReplyDelete